Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The search is on

Well I checked out two potential leases today. One was for 5,000 square feet and the other was 1200.

The 5,000 sf place was EXACTLY WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. Except that I don't think my yarn shop is going to make $2000 a month right off the bat. So that one is on my "will move into someday" list.

The 1200sf place is also a good place for a start-up, but it was a salon&spa before and it has too many small rooms that would have to be demo'd. I don't want to demo. Also, it has a drop ceiling that I would want to demo, because the REAL ceiling, maybe 6 feet higher, HAS THE ORIGINAL TIN CEILING SQUARES!!! Oh, that would be so awesome to see every day. Owner only wants $500 a month for it, but it is on a side street and not quite on the main "antique mall" strip.

There is one more shop available that I am pretty sure is the one for me right now. It is probably 3,000 sf and it the storefront is RIGHT ON THE STREET that I want. The owner wants $600 a month. However, I know the person who owns the belly dancing studio right next door, and with her help there's a chance I could get him to drop the rent 50-100 bucks. Worth a shot!

So now I am trying to get off of my duff and get the financial projections together. It's a pain in the ass and the leg work....ugh. I need to decide how much, what type, and what colors of yarn to get initially ordered. Notions, too. What sizes of knitting needles? How many of each size? Same with crochet needles too.

There is a local glassworks guy and I might be able to get an order of glass stitch markers made....

I think I am going to shoot for a September  or October Grand Opening. Which means I will be stocking for fall and Christmas initially. Now I just need to find wholesalers in the local area. :)

A safe for the cash. A file cabinet. A scale so when I buy roving in 50lb bulk I can break it down and sell it by the oz. (roving is fiber for spinners to make yarn out of).

This blog is a great place for me to get my thoughts together.

Peg board and hooks. Where do I get that from? hmm, more research to do!

Yarn that I know I am going to have initially: Malabrigo wool. Alpaca. Sock weight. Sport weight.
I am also going to look at knitting patterns and have those available with the yarn it calls for too. Does anyone have any ideas? Feel free to post them in the comments!

Ok, enough procrastinating, back to finances I go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment